h1

I have a confession to make…

December 15, 2009

Remember Go Home on Time Day?

I’ll let the pictures start the story:

I was not alone. After Go Home on Time Day on November the 25th, The Australia Institute ran a brief survey of those who signed up with a 12% response rate. According to this post on the HR Magazine’s site, of the ~20,000 people who put their names down for a ‘leave pass’, the survey results indicated that just over half (55%) who signed up kept to their commitment to go home ‘on time’. The remaining 45% (guilty as charged), were not quite as successful.

Of the 45%, the majority cited having “Too much work to do” (68%), and “Colleagues were working late” (11%) as the main reasons they didn’t make it home on time. For me, staying back to get some more work done was a concious decision that I made. The work was not ‘can’t-wait-until-tomorrow’ urgent, but I wanted to spend the extra hours finishing it off before heading home.

The Australia Institute has taken down the Go Home on Time Day site, and I haven’t seen anything to indicate whether they are planning to run the Day next year, or whether they feel the day was a success. Personally I hope this is something they continue to run annually. I found the results from their initial research really informative and it definitely gave me more insight into working hours and patterns in the Australian context.

‘Fess up. If you put your name down to go home on time, did you do it?

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: